MacMillans of Lochaber.

Moderator: Moderator

MacMillans of Lochaber.

Postby Ann in the UK » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi all,

My 3x great grandmother was Flora MacMillan, born c1810 in (or around) Blaich, Kilmallie. Her father was Duncan, her mother Jean, both MacMillans; they lived at Blaich 6 in the 1841 census. I dont' know anything about Duncan's family as yet. But, I suspect Jean's mother was the Mary McPhee listed on the clan site, who was born on 8 Sep 1776 in Garvan, Kilmallie, – the daughter of Donald (Ban) McMillan, who was the son of Ewan Og, who was the son of Ewan. From what I've read, and been told by other MacMillans, this branch of the clan originated in Murlaggan, on the banks of Locharkaig. I haven't managed to get hold of a birth register for Flora yet, or any further information about her parent's, or siblings.

I've visited Blaich several times (I have photo's and copies of all of the census's and other information if anyone's has ancestors in or around this village - there were lots of MacMillans around and about and I have a little anecdote about who I believe was the last one to have lived there) and I'm heading back there this summer, hopefully to coincide with the gathering at the end of July.

I tried to get along to Murlaggan last autumn, but unfortunately was beaten by the dreadful weather which had caused severe flooding around what my family call Rob Roy's waterfall. Hopefully, this year won't be as wet!

Best wishes,
Ann
Ann in the UK

Re: MacMillans of Lochaber.

Postby Ann in the UK » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:39 am

Addendum to my previous post above:

Clutching at straws here, but think I may have found two siblings for Flora: Mary, born North Garvan c1805; and, Angus born Blaich (possibly) c1808.

Make any sense to anyone?
Ann in the UK

Postby gshaslam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Ann,
My MacMillan ancestors were also from Blaich, Ardgour, and Garvan, Kilmallie, Argyll (Lochaber MacMillan). Also Fort William, Kilmallie, Argyll. My great grand father was Ewen Hugh MacMillan, born 1848/1849, Garvan, Kilmallie, Argyll, his father was Duncan Ban MacMillan, known as "Crodan" (Gurnot), born 1801 in Kilmallie, married to Mary Todd, born 1809 in Craignish, Kilmallie, Argyll; Mary was the daughter of Robert Todd (Tod) and Elisabeth Campbell of Craignish. Duncan Ban MacMillan and Mary Todd were married in July of 1833, Ardnamurchan and Strontian or Sunart, Argyll. Duncan's father was John MacMillan and Mary MacLean, I am told that they moved to Blaich, Ardgour, from Callich in 1788, and had a croft. John's father was Ewen Og MacMillan of Callich, married Sarah. It is my understanding that Ewen Og MacMillan is a direct descendant of the Chiefs of Murlaggan, and thereafter the MacMillans of Glenpean and Callich.
I guess we are related somehow? I would really like to connect with you, and others interested, to share knowledge and information.
Thanks, Gary S.A. Haslam gshaslam@telus.net
gshaslam

Postby mcmull1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:58 am

Gary, that is very interesting information. Is their a living male connected to the MacMillan you describe, who might be willing to DNA test. The mystery about whether Murlaggen and Dunmore MacMillans are of the same stock is still unresolved. Lyn
mcmull1

Postby gshaslam » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:55 am

YUP....me, Gary Stuart Haslam. In tracing backwards and documented, my father, George MacLean Haslam, was born 1919 in Vancouver, BC, Canada, his mother Mary Alice MacMillan was born 1877 in Pontypridd, Wales, she was the daughter of Ewen Hugh MacMillan born 1848/1849 in Garvan, Kilmallie, Argyll and Alice Jepson of Over Darwen, Lancashire. Ewen Hugh MacMillan's father was Duncan (Ban) MacMillan, born April 1801 in Blaich, Ardgour, Kilmallie, Argyll, baptised April 19, 1801. Duncan, alias "Cnodan" (Gurnot) is referenced in Somerled MacMillan's book, Bygone Lochaber, page 91. Duncan married Mary Todd, daughter of Robert Todd (Tod) and Elisabeth Campbell of Craignish. Family folklore has Elisabeth related to the Duke of Argyll. Somerled MacMillan only makes mention of a few of Duncan's children, the Rev. John MacMillan, oldest son named after Duncan's father, he died in 1906; Robert the auctioneer, born July 1840; Angus the Fort William blacksmith born Sept. 1843, died in Saskatchewan, Canada; and Catherine Hutchison born 1854, youngest child of Duncan and Mary. Catherine Todd Hutchison (nee: MacMillan) died Aug. 1945 and is buried about 20 minutes away from me in Vancouver, BC, Canada, alongside her brother James Todd MacMillan, born 1852 and died Aug. 1931. Duncan's father John MacMillan was born about 1754, Callich, near Murlaggan on Loch Arkaig. John married Mary MacLean of the Ardgour MacLeans, Lairds of Ardgour since about 15th century. John's brothers were Ewen (Breck), Angus who died in Finch, Ontario, Canada (1802 Exodus) Donald, died Aug. 1807 and buried in the Old Kilmallie Churchyard in Corpach, near Fort William. Donald was the Tacksman of Callich since about 1786, their father was Ewen Og MacMillan and he must of died about 1786 as he was the previous Tacksman of Callich, and a Co-Tenant with his father Ewen MacMillan (alias Cameron) before him. The oldest document is the Baptism for Duncan MacMillan in 1801, which gives the parents as John MacMillan and Mary MacLean. Prior to this there are some historical accounts, but I have no actual documented events for John or his wife Mary MacLean, nor his brothers Ewen, Donald and Angus (and supposedly another Ewen that went to Canada in 1802), and nothing for Ewen Og and his wife Sarah. Ewen Og MacMillan is the link to Callich, which I beleive the Callich (Callicharth) MacMillans were the very same MacMillans as those in Murlaggan and Glenpean (Glenpeinmore), all three areas are adjacent with Murlaggan sandwiched between Glenpean and Callich. The MacMillans were the Tacksmen for Glenpean and Callich for many generations.
gshaslam

Postby mcmull1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Gary apologise, for some reason the response to this never got to me. Unfortunately your connection would be one of Mtdna, where what is needed is a male Y-Dna sample from a brother to your mother. That is what will give us a DNA signature to compare with. Lyn
mcmull1

Postby arohi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 am

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area.. My husband and I were working on our family history when we came upon this site. I figured I'd post, maybe someone here can help or point us in the right direction. Our search has hit a wall.
AROHI
arohi

Postby FionaMac » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:36 am

Hello, I am a Murlaggan MacMillan descendant. My 5xgreatgrandfather was Ewen MacMillan 1734-1835 and his wife Christian Cameron 1738 -1842. They lived in Murlaggan. Ewen's father Angus (Glenpean) MacMillan was tacksman at Glenpean. Ewen's brother John Ban MacMillan 1729-1820 married Christian McCalman. They had 7 children, Duncan Ban, Sarah, Donald, Anne, Ewen, Mary and another Ewen. Duncan Ban 1783-1861 went to Glengarry, Ontario (Canada) with his wife Mary MacMillan. Their children were Daniel, John, Christian, Mary, Allan, Duncan D, Alexander. I would love to hear from anyone who descends from this family or from the other children.

Thanks
Fiona
fmcmillan2003@yahoo.com
FionaMac

Return to Scottish Genealogy, Highlands